SCWR Merit Scholarship Contest!
Entry deadline: April 1
Winner announced: April 15
CLICK HERE for details!
Sign up for our mailing list:
Now Accepting Registrations!
Early registration discount ends May 1. See the REGISTRATION page for details. 31 of 35 places left.
What They’re Saying about the 2013 Retreat
"The SCWR was a life-changing experience I will never forget. The faculty was just superb across the board, especially the authors who were wise and gifted teachers. I appreciated how accessible, generous, and helpful everyone was. I was at a place in my writing career where I was ready for tools to take my work to the next level. I found this at the SCWR and so much more. Thank you all!" - 2013 Salt Cay Writers Retreat student
"This was such a beneficial program, in so many ways...The dolphin swim was amazing! I'm already planning for a return trip next year, and can't stop telling people about how wonderful it was." - 2013 Salt Cay Writers Retreat student
"I truly had a wonderful time at the retreat. Those were such nice people, and the entire atmosphere invited friendship and sharing. Thank you for asking me, and congratulations to you and your team for putting it all together and for making it such a memorable experience." -- Chuck Adams, Executive Editor, Algonquin Books
"The retreat was lots of fun and I had a great time. Everyone was lovely, which always makes it nice!" - Amy Einhorn, Publisher and Vice President of Amy Einhorn Books
"I had a great time, the attendees were a pleasure, and the retreat was well run and of course the setting could not be beat." Steven Fisher, Vice President, Agency for the Performing Arts
Who Should Apply?
The Salt Cay Writers Retreat is particularly suited for novelists (especially those writing literary, upmarket commercial fiction, or genre novelists wanting to write a break-out book), memoirists and narrative non-fiction writers. However, any author (published or not-yet-published) who wishes to take their writing to the next level is welcome to apply.
- Individualized instruction from bestselling authors, top editors, and literary agents
- Dolphin swim
- Built-in scheduled writing time
- Evening gatherings with student and author readings
- Closing festivities including authentic Bahamian feast
- All sleeping rooms at the retreat hotel are suites – share a room with a friend, or bring your spouse or family
- Free or deeply discounted activities for families, including water park, water bikes, kayaks, dolphin and sea lion encounters, snorkeling, scuba-diving, and much more
- Complimentary guest access to Atlantis Resort & Casino
Did You Know?
- William Styron put the finishing touches on his soon-to-be bestseller Sophie’s Choice while vacationing on Salt Cay.
- Charles Lindbergh and his wife Anne came to Salt Cay for a visit, where Anne Morrow Lindbergh wrote part of her book Gift From The Sea.
- During its heyday as a social destination in the 1920s the island hosted numerous earls, counts, dukes, and duchesses.
- In the late 1800s the lagoon was a salt marsh where pirates and privateers visited not to bury treasure, but to cull salt from the lagoon to preserve their food.